Tuesday, January 23, 2007

Reading Homework Update (Week 4 - 5)

Hi all,

I think it's just too much to have you read two articles on weeknights, so I'm altering your homework a bit. (Make these changes on your syllabus.)

On Weds. (1/24), select ONE of the readings--either "Everyday Use" (about mother and daughters) OR "The Chrystanthemums" (about a husband and wife)--to read and respond to, not both.

On Mon. (1/29), remove "A Rose for Emily" from the list, as I don't have an online version of the article. If you'd like to read "Letter to My Mother" (also not available online), please let me know before Monday (1/29), and I will bring a copy of it to you in class. For Monday, I'll have you select ONE article to read, though I may assign a second article from that list for Tuesday (1/30) p.m. I'll let you know in class.

Also, it was pointed out to me that, on the syllabus, some of the readings do not have the vocabulary assignment listed. It is my intent that you complete a vocab. assignment for each article we read for Essay #2, so please plan to do the vocab. assign. every night. I'll be checking for them all in your "Assignment Notebook."

Just a reminder: the readings we are doing are all articles about "relationships," and you will be choosing one or more of them to use for your Essay #2. Your essay #2, which I'll introduce Thursday (1/25) or Monday (1/29), will be a "response" essay. I would like you to connect yourself to one of the stories in some way. (If you just can't find a personal connection, you may compare and contrast characters or relationships in two stories, but I think it's easier to write about your personal experience.)

No comments: